If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Sunday, July 24, 2022

Flybys

  

Not a great photo, but a fun story.  I've been having some trouble with my camera/lens.  Today I noticed some guillemots close to shore, so I started testing my lens by practicing focusing on guillemots flying by.  I would see a bird approaching from a distance, raise my lens, and try to focus.  

I had done this several times when I looked through and noticed not guillemots, but auklets!  I don't see Rhinoceros Auklets (Cerorhinca monocerata) from shore that often, especially during the summer, so it was a nice surprise.  Not sure if they'll stay around, but if you're interested in seeing auklets, it might be worth scanning nearshore areas off Bodega Head.

No comments: