If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Friday, May 8, 2020

Rainbow-eyed

There are some nights when it's hard to decide what to post on this blog.  [But most of the time it's not, because something turns up during the day that really stands out. Honestly, I'm still somewhat surprised how often this is true.  When I first started the blog, I wondered if I would have enough material, but I quickly learned that there are more fascinating natural history observations in the world than I could ever post.]

While we discussed possible photos that we could share tonight, Eric thought you might enjoy this beautiful sculpin eye.  This fish was photographed hiding among some red algae in a tidepool.  A rainbow-eyed sculpin!  (That's our name for it, not an official name.) 

Personally, I'm drawn to the purple crescent at the lower edge of the fish's eye, but the entire combination is stunning, isn't it?  (And that's not a bad pair of lips, either.)  A marine rainbow just for you!


P.S.  Many thanks to Eric for sharing this photo! 
 

No comments: